3.13.2013

Blogging Thoughts..


Tomorrow is my little ol' blog's first birthday! I can't believe it's already been a year, yet I feel like I've grown a lot from being 20 to being 21 now. I can see my growth as a person and a blogger through my posts. 
I've been reflecting a little bit on all of it for the past couple of weeks.. 

When I started Rays of Purple, I started it for me. A place that was my space. I never had the aspirations to have thousands of followers and make a living blogging. For those of you who want that, and do that, I applaud you. I really do. It's just something I personally never wanted. Maybe it sounds counter productive, but I just wanted something for me, I wanted to be a part of this community. And I am. Having over 400 followers is amazing, and I adore each of you! I never would have imagined I would have made it this far. 
I want active readers, people to communicate with, not just a number on a page. Get what I'm saying?

I love being part of this community, and I feel as if I have made so many wonderful blog friends. But with that being said, there are some things in "blog land" that I'm just so over right now. The biggest one probably being the HUGE giveaways with 20 people in them, putting money towards a HUGE prize. I understand the reason behind it, and of course people want to win those, it's great exposure for your blog! I am not trying to bash anybody who participates in them in any kind of way, I get it. But it's not something I participate in. I've contemplated it, don't get me wrong, but I always turn to my husband and say, "I just feel like I'm buying followers, and that's not what I want." And I mean it.. I'm not here for that huge number, I'm really not.

I love meeting new blog ladies, but at this point, I am also kind of over Passionfruit Ads. They are super easy and convenient, but I don't feel as connected anymore.. So after this month, I'm taking a little while off from button swapping until I can figure out a way to use Passionfruit Ads but make it more meaningful. 

Throughout this blogging journey I've managed to stay true to myself, and I want to keep it that way. I've grown as a person, and my direction for this blog has changed and evolved too. When I first started Rays of Purple, I was going to try the lifestyle thing. As I moved along, I found it becoming more of a DIY and recipe blog. Most of my traffic now days comes from Pinterest, and honestly, I love it that way. 

As I continue this blogging journey, I really want to focus on posting our travels. It's the perfect way to look back on them, and the thoughts we had after them. I want to keep focusing on DIYs and new recipes. This blog is truly me. I blog when I feel like it, I don't have a set schedule, and I'm okay with that. I know maybe that will lose me some followers along the road, but I'm here to please me. I've learned that I don't need to post every day, I'm lucky if I even get 2-3 posts a week, but I'm okay with that too. 

I really didn't mean for this to be so long.. I need to learn to ramble less.. Sorry about that ;) 

Anyway little blog of mine, Happy 1st Birthday! Here's to many more to come. 

6 comments:

  1. "I want active readers, people to communicate with, not just a number on a page. Get what I'm saying?" <-- Exactly. And some of these bloggers have 500 followers, but less than 50 comments on each post. Not even a tenth of their followers are communicating with them most of the time!

    I also dislike the idea of "buying" followers with give-aways and sponsoring. That's why I won't mess with any of that stuff.

    You are one of the most cool, genuine bloggers I have found! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for your blog's first birthday :) I love everything about this post! Everything you said is so true. I like meeting people & actually communicating with them.. not just having them click "follow" and then never come back again! You have an amazing blog.. congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy blog birthday! :)

    Stephanie
    www.violetlilacplum.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had a lot of the same thoughts and have taken breaks from blogging from time to time to re-evaluate. I'm am always so glad to hear when other people are taking the time to re-evaluate how they can remain true to themselves in blogging. I'd love to hear more on your thoughts on Passionfruit. I used it earlier and decided it was too much to keep up with but have been considering going back because I liked discovering other blogs that way. So I'd love to know your experiences and thoughts on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blog-o-versary!!

    Hope you have a wonderful day :)

    Sheree
    The Hartungs Blog
    thehartungs.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  6. A few days ago I turned off my passionfruit ads too! I know exactly what you are feeling and thinking! I feel the same way. People can get lost on what "everyone is doing" and forget why they started blogging at the first place. Don't be sorry!

    btw happy blog birthday! :)

    ReplyDelete